- Here is an instruction how to connect to a VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Server by using L2TP/IPsec VPN Client which is built-in on Mac OS X.
- On this instruction, every screen-shots are taken on Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Other versions of Mac OS X are similar to be configured, however there might be minor different on UIs.
- These screen-shots are in English version of Mac OS X. If you use other language, you can still configure it easily by referring the following instructions.
- FREE ACCOUNT
server add: v1.qvpn.vip
shared key: vpn
location : Singapore
1. Initial configurations (only once at the first time)
- Click the network icon on the top-right side on the Mac screen. Click “Open Network Preferences…” in the menu.
- Click the “+” button on the network configuration screen.
- Select “VPN” as “Interface” , “L2TP over IPsec” as “VPN Type” and click the “Create” button.
- A new L2TP VPN configuration will be created, and the configuration screen will appear.
- On this screen, you have to specify either hostname or IP address of the destination SoftEther VPN Server.
- After you specified the “Server Address” , input the user-name on the “Account Name” field, which is the next to the “Server Address” field.
- Next, click the “Authentication Settings…” button.
- The authentication screen will appear. Input your password in the “Password” field. Specify the pre-shared key also on the “Shared Secret” field. After you input them, click the “OK” button.
- After return to the previous screen, check the “Show VPN status in menu bar” and click the “Advanced…” button.
- The advanced settings will have appeared. Check the “Send all traffic over VPN connection” and click the “OK” button.
- On the VPN connection settings screen, click the “Connect” button to start the VPN connection.
2. Start a VPN connection
- You can start a new VPN connection by clicking the “Connect” button at any time. You can also initiate a VPN connection by clicking the VPN icon on the menu bar.
- After the VPN connection will be established, the VPN connection setting screen will become as below as the “Status” will be “Connected” . Your private IP address on the VPN, and connect duration time will be displayed on the screen.
3. Enjoy VPN communication
- While VPN is established, all communications will be relayed via the VPN Server. You can access to any local servers and workstation on the destination network.